Day three started out smooth. We weren’t quite as far along as I had originally planned, but we were making progress at a smooth pace. First thing we did with day three is finished building the face frames and attached them to the cabinet bodies. Once again, we carefully measured the top of every shelf so we knew where the face frame should line up. Attaching to the side units was easy – the larger unit took a little more effort. We glued, as well as screwed (Kreg) the frame on and clamped where we needed to.
Once the face frames were attached we moved on to the doors. We ripped down the wood using the Kreg rip cut to the height of the drawer. We ran them the through the router to create a 1/2 inch dado for the bottom of the drawer to sit in.
After the kids went to bed for the night we were back in the garage building the six drawers (three for each side unit). We used 1/2 inch plywood for the sides as well as the bottom. We attached them together using glue and nails. Had these been high use drawers I would’ve opted for a more solid drawer such as a dovetail. But these are light usage and our assembly method will work just fine.
We locked up shop just before midnight. I had a sense of accomplishment after today. All three cabinets were assembled with face frames and all the drawers were built. We spent a considerable amount of time figuring out all the dimensions for the drawer hardware and I’m crossing my fingers that we measured everything correctly!